Friday, June 24, 2011

From the Virtual Conference Room to the Live Action: How I'll be Savoring ISTE11



I remember this time last year so vividly: scanning Twitter and reading all of the messages about the ISTE10 conference in Colorado. I can't forget feeling sorry for myself that I was not there meeting the people I often shared with and chatted with online.  I attended sessions and learned lots, discovering resources and new people to follow, but still felt a bit envious of those who were sharing the wonder of meeting face to face for the first time, but feeling like lifelong friends. I don't want to forget that experience, mostly because it will remind me how very fortunate I am to be attending the ISTE11 conference this year.

What will I do to make the most of my Philadelphia learning adventure, or as my Canadian friend, Jen, is calling it her, Techcellent Adventure?


  • I will be open and present as much as possible. I anticipate, after my experience at ASCD11 this past March, that the convention center will be a bit overstimulating and intimidating at times. I will stay in the moment and enjoy the opportunities to share a conversation, meet a new friend, and learn something to bring back to my practice. 
  • I will let go and have fun! Yes, I am there to learn, and that is what I will be doing, but who says a little "Double Dream Hands" flash mob is going to get in the way!  I'm also signed up for the EdTech Karaoke, which will be great fun. Let's see if I get up the nerve to actually sing ;-) 
  • I will tweet and blog my learning: I really appreciated those who were there sharing live, in the moment last year. I have several friends, especially Lisa Dabbs and Greta Sandler, who will be with me in spirit. I want to be someone who gives graciously and shares the learning. We really never know when a tweet will inspire someone else to explore and discover. 
  • I will take care of myself with exercise and sleep! I know that I am one of those people who has a hard time sleeping when I am away from  home. There's that little kid part of me who feels like she might, "miss something," if she goes to sleep too early. I doubt I will be going to sleep early but I will make it a point to get enough sleep to be ready to learn and meet new faces. I also plan to walk everywhere and hope, no plan!, to run at least 2 of the days I am there :-) Maybe I will find some #temt folks to run with!
  • I will spend time brainstorming and debriefing with the 2 fabulous teacher colleagues that will accompany me. We will have a chance to bring ideas back and transform the learning of 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders at our school. What a gift this will be! 

Before I forget, thanks to all of the bloggers who have written helpful posts for us ISTE newbies. I especially appreciated this post by Steve Dembo: What Not to do at ISTE and many others that I am suddenly forgetting due to my excited state! 

 I can't wait to get to Philadelphia tomorrow. But first, there's a long to-do list waiting...so off I go! How will you make the most of your ISTE11 experience, whether live or in the virtual capacity? Please share :-) 

2 comments:

Tracy Watanabe said...

Hi Joan,

It was a pleasure to meet you today, tour Independance Hall, and learn how to upload a picture to Twitter! Thanks so much!

Kind regards,
Tracy Watanabe

Joan Young (aka Mancini) said...

Thanks Tracy! It was great to meet you as well. Looking forward to staying connected through Twitter!