I remember this time last year so vividly: scanning Twitter and reading all of the messages about the ISTE10 conference in Colorado. I can't forget feeling sorry for myself that I was not there meeting the people I often shared with and chatted with online. I attended sessions and learned lots, discovering resources and new people to follow, but still felt a bit envious of those who were sharing the wonder of meeting face to face for the first time, but feeling like lifelong friends. I don't want to forget that experience, mostly because it will remind me how very fortunate I am to be attending the ISTE11 conference this year.
What will I do to make the most of my Philadelphia learning adventure, or as my Canadian friend, Jen, is calling it her, Techcellent Adventure?
- I will be open and present as much as possible. I anticipate, after my experience at ASCD11 this past March, that the convention center will be a bit overstimulating and intimidating at times. I will stay in the moment and enjoy the opportunities to share a conversation, meet a new friend, and learn something to bring back to my practice.
- I will let go and have fun! Yes, I am there to learn, and that is what I will be doing, but who says a little "Double Dream Hands" flash mob is going to get in the way! I'm also signed up for the EdTech Karaoke, which will be great fun. Let's see if I get up the nerve to actually sing ;-)
- I will tweet and blog my learning: I really appreciated those who were there sharing live, in the moment last year. I have several friends, especially Lisa Dabbs and Greta Sandler, who will be with me in spirit. I want to be someone who gives graciously and shares the learning. We really never know when a tweet will inspire someone else to explore and discover.
- I will take care of myself with exercise and sleep! I know that I am one of those people who has a hard time sleeping when I am away from home. There's that little kid part of me who feels like she might, "miss something," if she goes to sleep too early. I doubt I will be going to sleep early but I will make it a point to get enough sleep to be ready to learn and meet new faces. I also plan to walk everywhere and hope, no plan!, to run at least 2 of the days I am there :-) Maybe I will find some #temt folks to run with!
- I will spend time brainstorming and debriefing with the 2 fabulous teacher colleagues that will accompany me. We will have a chance to bring ideas back and transform the learning of 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders at our school. What a gift this will be!